Monday, June 23, 2008

Swim Lessons

Avery started swim lessons on June 10. She is just a little over 2, but she loves the water. When we were at my parents the week before she was blowing bubbles, going under water for rings, and starting to kick. My side of the family (not sure about Chris's) were in the water from day one just about. We all were little water bugs so it was just natural to start Avery early.
The first day I was a little worried, she is 2 you never know which one of her personalities will show up. We did the safety talk and walked around the pool. We finally got in and the teacher wanted us to kick our legs (there were 2 other children in the pool that were around 3 1/2 to 4 so I was in the pool with Avery but the other mom's weren't since their kids were older). Avery did not want to do that. She fought and cried. She did not want to do anything. I was starting to think "Oh no she is not going to do anything". Then the teacher wanted them to blow bubbles in the water. That was the key! Avery immediatly stuck her whole face in the water and blew bubbles and continued. She loves to blow bubbles. That made her happy. It was funny she went from being the disrubtive student to the example (for that moment at least). At this age Avery has very little fear of things were as the older kids are a little more hesistant, which is good (since mine thinks that nothing is going to hurt her). The rest of the day was good.
So I not going to go through everyday because that would take too long. The swim lessons were Monday-Friday (1st week) and Mon-Thurs. (2nd week) an hour a day. Avery has really progressed. She now completley dives in and lets herself float. She was diving off the step the last day (now I have to teach her she is not super girl, yet she still needs help). She can float on her back for a few seconds and we put her under water and she kicks and paddles a little. She is doing great. I am so glad we did the class because it taught Avery a lot, but it also taught me what I should be doing with her. We are going to Schlitterbahn the middle of July so I am looking forward to putting a life jacket and taking her down some of the small rides. She is going to love it!!! She loves sliding into the water! I can't wait!

1 comment:

Kate said...

I was very impressed by Avery in swim lessons! She did amazing, especially being that she is only two!